Once enrolled in a public school, a child 5 years old to 18 years old (unless already graduated from high school) must attend school every day, every class, on time, unless lawfully excused.
Lawfully Excused Absences
- Sickness - too sick to be in school
- Medical Appointments
- Religious Holidays
- Extreme Family Emergencies - house fire, death, etc.
Examples of UNEXCUSED Absences
- Missed school bus
- Suspended from school bus
- Staying home to babysit
- Weather too hot/cold
- Family vacation
Parent/Guardian MUST communicate with the school office every time a child is absent. Please note that not all absences will be excused. Call in or send a note to Suzanne Gural (Attendance Clerk) in the main office, state the reason for absence and be specific. 651.290.7595 (Attendance Line)
All unknown absences are automatically marked as UNEXCUSED.
Did you know?
Students with Good Attendance...
- Do better on state tests
- Keep up with homework
- Get good grades
- Graduate from High School
- Go to College
- Have many career options
- Become more positive role models
- Are likely to have better self-esteem
- Build better peer relationships
- Are less likely to engage in negative or criminal behaviors